When you’re in a hurry to get your day started, but want a hearty breakfast first, you can keep it simple by making overnight oats the night before. The best part is how easy it is! All you need is a jar, oats of your choice, milk of your choice and your favorite flavorings. Most of us think of oatmeal as a hot breakfast cooked on the stove and served with brown sugar or maple syrup. While that is good on a cold morning, overnight oats offer the same hearty meal you want on an active day, but without the pots, pans and hassle.
Add the milk of your choice to a canning or upcycled jar, add your flavorings, then stir. Next, add the oats and give it all a mix to incorporate all the ingredients. Place the lid on the jar and stash it in the refrigerator overnight. In the morning, simply stir the ingredients in the jar, add your favorite toppings and you’ll have a ready-made satisfying breakfast to enjoy.
All About Oats!
- Use a two parts liquid and one part oats formula for a creamy result.
- Old-fashioned rolled oats are best for this – instant will turn to mush and steel cut oats will be very chewy.
- Add a pinch of salt to the milk before adding the oats. This will enhance the flavor.
- If you are adding chia seeds, put them in with the oats the night before so they can absorb the liquid and soften.
- If you are using dried fruits, place them in the jar at night and add a little extra liquid so they can rehydrate.
- Don’t add nut or fruit toppings until morning because they will absorb the milk and not taste as good.
This article was first published in the Fall 2023 Girl Camper Magazine.
More Girl Camper
Girl Camper Magazine: Subscribe to Girl Camper Magazine here! Girl Camper Magazine
Events: Check out upcoming Girl Camper Events – you can attend events in any chapter! https://girlcamper.com/events/
Main GC Facebook Group – Join more than 400,000 like-minded women in our Facebook group! Girl Camper FB Group